The Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) has introduced Treatment Cycle changes for Allied Health referrals. This means that the way you track and manage DVA referrals has changed, but don't worry - Halaxy has you covered!
Who and what do the referral changes affect?
The new changes:
- affect all referrals managed by DVA Allied Health providers
(excluding Exercise Physiology and Physiotherapy services for Totally and Permanently Incapacitated Gold Card holders).
- require an End of Cycle Report (ECR) to be sent to the referring GP
- provide the option to charge for producing the ECR
These changes start 1 October 2019. This is not policy advice and you can read more about these changes directly from the DVA's website here.
How the Allied Health Treatment Cycle works
Halaxy has you covered - like no one else!
How to use the new Treatment Cycle referral within your Halaxy
You can import the new Treatment Cycle referral and associated report fee from within your Halaxy today. When you import the referral, the ECR template is automatically imported, ready for editing from within your clients' clinical notes too.
Importing the Treatment Cycle referral:
- Go to the Referral Types page (Finances > Fees > Referral Types)
- Click Add Referral Type
- Search for “DVA Allied Health Treatment Cycle Referral”
- Select and save the result that appears to import it into your Halaxy practice
Edit and send the End of Cycle Report (ECR) to GPs:
When the Treatment Cycle Referral is linked to a patient's DVA appointment, the ECR report template is added to their clinical notes. Halaxy populates the administrative aspects of the report automatically, so that you only need to focus on the areas that require assessment. Once complete, you can send directly to the GP from within the note itself!
- Imports the ECR template into the patient's clinical notes, and
- Populates the ECR with the required administrative information when previewed
- Streamlines ECR report sending, by allowing for direct sending to the GP from directly within the clinical report itself.
New patients: Adding the Treatment Cycle referral
Add the new Treatment Cycle Referral for new patients by either:
- Going to a future-dated DVA appointment or invoice
- Clicking the Edit icon next to the referral
- Selecting the new Treatment Cycle Referral from the drop-down referral options
- editing the Patient's Funding page at any time.
Subsequent appointments you make for the patient using a linked fee will automatically be linked to the referral and use the new 12-session limit.
Existing patients: Updating to the new Treatment Cycle Referral
You can update patients who have an existing DVA referral to the new Treatment Cycle Referral type by following these steps:
- In the Halaxy Calendar, open an existing DVA appointment or invoice scheduled from 1 October 2019, click the Edit (pencil) icon next to the referral section.
- Select “Add New Referral” from the drop-down menu and import “DVA Allied Health Treatment Cycle Referral” in the Referral Type field.
- Enter the date of the patient’s existing referral and referrer.
- Click Submit.
At Halaxy, we’re committed to helping you navigate the galaxy of health, and our referral system is just one more way we’re making healthcare better, for everyone.